Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Tribute to my wife

From left, my daughter Erika, wife Gina and Jeanne Marie

I've been writing for quite some time but I've never really written anything about my wife. Today is her birthday and we had a quiet simple celebration at home with my daughters Jeanne Marie and Maria Fatima Erika. We had spaghetti, broiled pork belly and cake. As guests, we have (forever) her sister Gemma who's currently pregnant and her mother.
We started our day with a road accident. We were on our way to a vulcanizing shop to inflate my tires before we go and get her cake. When the traffic enforcer signed an all go signal, I zoomed to cross the intersection and lo and behold, a taxi was emerging from one of the side streets. He was running fairly slow crossing the intersection and gave us a light bump, good enough to teach me a lesson to always look both ways when I drive the motorcycle. Gina, my wife, was my back passenger. We fell down and I hurt her hand when my weight flattened it on the asphalted road. She has some minor bumps as well to share. We had a dialog with the taxi driver and decided to just be on our separate ways and forget that this thing happened. It's a good thing we were wearing our helmets and was within city speed limits when it happened. If it was in a major highway we probably celebrated her birthday in a hospital.
So right after that incident, we had the tires all inflated properly and went to the mall to buy her birthday cake. I was ready to spend that day but she decided to buy a simple one which is very unusual. She normally wants something special for herself and will even squeeze every cent you have just to get it. But this time, whe was being reasonable. We got ourselves a good chiffon mocha 12 by 8 cake and had my daughters' names and mine initialed on the cake. It was kind of late that day considering the unwanted accident that took place earlier. So we bought ourselves a luncheon meat for lunch and went home right away after getting the cake and the pork belly to broil.
When we went home she complains about her aching hand which got flattened when it got sandwiched between my shoulder and the road. As a result some ointment needs to be rubbed on it to make her feel good. After a while she's back to normal and so am I. We went ahead and prepared the family dinner. My eldest daughter Jeanne Marie wanted to leave home again because she has a dance practice session with her friends. Eventually, Gina asked her to help cook the barbecue. She complied and  amazingly didn't hear any of the usual complaints she murmurs when we ask her to do house chores. Fatima Erika also did her share of helping out by assisting me cook the spaghetti. She pours the ingredients on the saucepan as I name each one out. As a reward, she gets the chance to taste test the food before anyone else.
Gina was busy reading all the greetings that her friends made at facebook. She was also busy answering each one and makes sure that each one are read and answered. In between, she answers the phone to greet neighbors and other friends who remembered her special day. She supervised the meat we were broiling and I made sure that the spaghetti sauce is perfect for everyone. We also have to make sure that the noodles are al dente. Right after that, I took my afternoon nap and she attended church to thank God for another wonderful life.
We had dinner at round 7:00 p.m. and had the chance to talk about the day. Then, just like all ordinary days she went to bed and I managed my Farmville farm. While I wait for my harvest time, I think and recall all the things that  happend during the day. The accident made me think and realize that life is short and we have to make sure that we enjoy each day as it passes. The contents of my blog would be different if the taxi driver was zooming too fast or the ten wheeler on the other side of the road decided to zoom in as well. If Gina didn't survive it, That means the start of a lonely life follows. I'm happy to have her by my side and supporting everything that I do. I may not feel good at times when she advises me in her onw style but in the long run, I'm glad that she's there with me all the time. Today, we celebrate her birthday and at the same time make sure that this wonderful woman will have a wonderful life with me. She may do simple things but what she doesn't know is that I value everything she does and everything that's about her.

1 comment:

  1. Dondi - Remembering and celebrating your wife's b-day with the entire fam is cool. It is likewise a priceless demonstration of appreciation of what she does as a wife and mother, day in and day out. Despite the road mishap preceeding its celebration, I am glad everything went well as planned. Indeed life is short, great to know you spent some quality time with her on a day as special as she is. Happy Holidays to you and the fam.
    My best,
    Brod Joji Aquino

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog