Monday, December 13, 2010

Love your work but not your employer

The original buds or OJTs of ePLDT Ventus Libertad
This is the first time in years that I've been sidelined. I have worked continuously for more than 6 years with ePLDT Ventus which is now known as SPi Global CRM. And guess what? After some bad numbers they junked everything that I've contributed to them. so here I am now, doing my best to survive the Christmas holidays. This is going to be the longest Christmas holiday that I've spent with my family.
A few month ago, I was already at a point where my specialization as a call center agent has bloomed to supervisory level. I was tasked early this year to join an elite team of agents from our Libertad, Mandaluyong branch to train a lot of agents. When I say a lot I really mean it. It's composed of an entire branch. So off we go to Makati and there, whe started training the managerial staff and point persons. After they've been trained, we then gradually discussed our line of business with the regular agents. In a few month's time, everyone was trained to do Advance Customer Support level to our client, Echostar who sells satellite TV service known as Dishnetwork. After everyone was uptrained, I was tasked to train the new hires. It was fun training new hires because you have to live with their inexperience. Some of them came from known call centers who transferred to us because they have attitude problems, and some are first timers in the call center industry. Each one were treated equally and were given the same level of training.
After all the hiring, now comes the downside where the company temporarily stops taking in new hires. As a result, from ad hoc new hire supervisor I have to go back to the OJT level and take calls. The last time I was taking calls was more than 6 months past. That became a challenge to me considering our product changes on a weekly basis and because of the numerous updates, I have to make sure that I give the same quality calls that I've done in the past. The company even changed their policy, wherein if one gets a "needs improvement" status for 2 consecutive times, you'll be dismissed. No one appealed or questioned it, because you'll be marked for death considering all those who are suckers already to destroy ones reputation.
As they try and see if the policy will work, they didn't notice that those that are most affected by the changes they made are every agent on the floor. The measure that they are using is so primitive that they'll base an employee's status on a single factor that is so one sided. In the end I am one who got affected.
My friend where telling me how I felt when the threw the bomb at me and told me that they'll be ending my 6 years of service. I said, I'm not the one who lost anything. The company lost me. In addition to that, the company will be losing more in the days to come.I was just one of the firsts ones that has to go. Some people admire me for this, because others will be devastated if what happened to me happens to them. I simply told them that I never kept my loyalty with the company I served. I love what I'm doing but it doesn't mean that you love the company. Company of various kinds will maximize what they can get from you and eventually remove you when you least expect it. Will they look back and see the previous contributions you've given? Never. So here I am now, looking for a new job. It may still be in the same industry where I previously worked but never with the company of SPi Global CRM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog