Monday, December 13, 2010

Chicken Pesto: A dish for the holidays!

Well, here I am working on my computer again when all of a sudden, Gina, my wife decides to blurt out a meal she's been dying to eat for the day. She's craving for my chicken pesto which a good friend taught me to make. I was reserving the dish for Christmas but my brother Tootsie said he prefers something more sophisticated. Too bad, my sisters Rina and Margot were very eager to sink their teeth into my specialty. As a result, we ended up having it for dinner.

What's so special about this chicken pesto? Nothing. It's just a regular meal that my daughters and wife love to eat. It's so filling that a kilo is enough to feed more than 10 people if you include some french bread with garlic butter on the side. It's a good thing I have all the ingredients ready at home for I already made my Christmas dinner preparations early. No matter how simple the dish is, my wife still can't recall how I make it.

Well let's start with the basic ingredients:
McCormick Pesto two packets.
One half kilo of chicken breast
One kilo of spaghetti
One whole onion
One whole garlic
Cooking oil
One can or tetra pack of Nestle whipped cream.
A can of Jolly button mushroom, diced and stemmed
Two cans of Jolly cream of mushroom soup
One Magic Sarap or Namnam seasoning
Twio cubes of Knorr chicken broth concentrate

Step one: Cook the spaghetti noodles until al dente then set aside to cool.

Step two: Boil the chicken breast, shred to small pieces and then set aside the broth.
Step three: Put the two cans of creamy mushroom soup in a container and mix an equal part of water until the soup is firmly mixed with the water.
Step four: Saute in oil the garlic, onion, diced mushroom and shredded chicken in a wok.
Step five: When the oil in the pan or wok is absorbed by the chicken, pour the mushroom soup, put the McCormick Pesto powder, put the chicken cube broth concentrate into the mixture and let it boil for at least 5 minutes. Occasionally stir the sauce until it becomes lightly pasty.
Step six: Turn off the heat and mix the whipped cream or Nestle cream into the sauce and stir until it is absorbed.
Step seven: Let the sauce cool for a few minutes then mix the spaghetti into the sauce or serve separately.

This meal is so filling that you'll be burping for hours with the pesto taste in the air... Serve immediately. It's best to chill the excess in the refrigerator and eat immediately. Milk based sauces tend to spoil faster than tomato based spaghetti sauce.

Is this an expensive dish? No. It's really more affordable compared to a regular spaghetti. After you serve this, I'm pretty sure the people who tasted it the first time will look for it again and again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog