Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Any Given Friday or Even Any Given Day!

Weeks before the book launch event of Any Given Friday, The Jerks, my friend Glenn Marcelo and Renz Tuzon have been sending me invitations  in Facebook just to make sure I'll be around. I was the kind of friend who would rarely show up specially if a gathering  is on a weekday instead of a weekend. All I said was, "Maybe, I'lll see, I'm not sure." Glenn sent a private reaction and said that I should not focus so much with work, I should find time for my self and for my friends. It looks like the situation I"m in is in favor of attending this event.

I remember the feeling of loosing my job. When I was talking to the heads of the company, and while they were explaining to me the reason behind the company policy, deep inside me was a feeling of excitement becasue all of a sudden, my eyes were fixed on Glenn's friday night event. I was very eager to end my day and submit my clearance and get ready for what fate has prepared for me. Glenn was not just a boss to me. He was like an older brother I never had. He taught me some tricks of the trade and made sure that all the work I make was perfect. Seeing him again and finding out how he survived 4 women in his life will be a wonderful "over beer" topic (Glenn has 3 daughters with his lovely wife, Dudee. Please don't get me wrong).

Glenn Marcelo and Me!
Another person I always wanted to see is Renz Tuzon. He's the youngest among us and the last time we worked together was  when we were doing radio shows for the Filipino oversea workers in Taiwan. The last news I heard about him was that he was working in an internet radio station. Unfortunately, I never got the stadion I.D. or URL. When I was checking him out in Facebook, he was in Dubai. The good news is that he's in town and was one of the key persons of the organized event in Bistro 70s.

Bistro 70s is a wonderful place for people my age. They play music the way it should be and not just poor poetry from million dollar artists who complain about their skin color or the society where they live. The Jerks, Chikoy Pura's group for 30 years are celebrating their anniversary there. They're not really very popular with the young generation because all their followers have grown up to become top executives  and leaders in today's society. The fans and friend are all there to support their book launching. The likes of Cookie Chua of the Red band, Bing Gomez Austria and Maria Cafra were around to do a number or two for Chikoy.
Cookie Chua

I arrived past 9:45 though the call time was 8:30. Glenn was at the entrance gate to greet incoming friends. He pointed me to Renz' direction near the bar so I went there to see my other buddy. He was so surprised to see me and never expected that I'll be round with them. Another one of the gang said that he'll be coming but it looks like he got tied up with some "chicken chores." Renz and Glenn don't really know where each others were that night because of the humonguous crowd that's in Bistro 70s. "No one is going out, they're expecting a rockfest to happen before the night ends," was Renz' parting words before he walked around the place to take pictures again. I asked his permission to use some of the shots for this blog which he agreed. I told him that Glenn is outside the place. He just laughed and said that our good friend is an ageing rocker, he's suffocating due to the large crowd so he decided to hang outside rather than inside. I got the chance to jokingly tell this to Glenn and he refuted by saying that the airconditioning system is close to the entrance and he's not suffocating due to the large crowd.
Maria Cafra
Chikoy Pura, The Jerks

"Any Given Friday" is a 30th anniversary book of The Jerks. It was written by Glenn Marcelo which I only found out that night. Renz Tuzon contributed to the book by taking the wonderful shots found inside it. I didn't get the chance to read my friend's work but the crowd there loved it. Almost every copy was sold and a lot more were looking for a copy of the book. I wasn't prepared to get a copy of the book that night. I didn't expect that it costs 1200 pesos. There's no ATM around to withdraw money to purchase one.

All of Glenn's family was there to support him. His wife and all three daughters were there to give him moral support. His daughters have all grown up to become wonderful girls. The last time I met them was when they were toddlers. Now, the eldest is in the college level while the other one is in her 4th year of high school. The youngest I failed to meet because she's sitted beside her mother who is somewhere in the crowd. I got the chance to be by myself and just enjoyed the place, the music, the roasted pig  and the beer. To my surprise, I didn't notice that time flew so fast.
Maria Cafra and Bing Gomez Austria

It was already 2:00 in the morning when I decided to leave the place. The place was still over flowing with people and the beer and roasted pig just kept on coming. The pile of books that were in the bar can now be counted by your fingers. I have to say goodnight to  my friends but promised them another time around with them when we'll have the chance. To Glenn, Chikoy, Renz and all the others responsible for the woderful book my personal congratulations. May you have more wonderful music years in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog